Tuesday, December 15, 2009

100 Stitches - Wheatear Stitch

Ready to go on the next stitch in the 100 stitches project!

I am using six strands of floss - DMC color #3843 - I love this color!

The stitch I am attempting :) is called the "wheatear stitch". That is the name that 100 Stitches calls it but another embroidery book I found calls this stitch the "wheat stitch". A Google search shows results for both names but the most results for wheat stitch. However, since I am working through 100 Stitches, I will use the name they do. The first step is to make two single straight stitches forming a chevron shape. Bring the needle back up through the fabric a little below the point of the chevron.

Now, carefully slide the needle under the chevron stitches - between the stitches and the fabric, not picking up any fabric at all.

Pull the thread through, and bring the needle back down through the fabric right where you came up.

Thats it! So simple - now you bring the needle back up through the fabric and start the whole thing over again!
Continue to form a beautiful stitched line:

Here is another view -the line ends with a final two straight stitches forming the last chevron.


This was such an easy to do stitch that I even took a picture of the back of my fabric to demonstrate how clean and simple this stitch is to work.



This stitch is #51 and is in the "Linked Stitches" section of the 100 Stitches book.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Beautiful stitch! Can't wait to try it out, thanks! Ali x

Anonymous said...

The stitches going to the side look like turtles!

Mahalakshmi said...

I was searching some stitch for my embroidery which has lines and I was wondering what stitch to do on it.I bumped into your site while browsing the net and was very happy to see this wheatear stitch.nice tutorial and the snaps are very clear.Thank you so much.

Kim said...

Thank you all! Mahalakshmi - I am so glad this was helpful - I have just been to your blog - your stitching is exquisite!

Mahalakshmi said...

Thank you so much for your nice words Kim.